Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:25:52 -0700
From:      Motty Cruz <motty.cruz@gmail.com>
To:        Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs on FreeBSD 8.2 64bit stuck in "One or more devices is currently being resilvered"

Hello Rainer,

What’s the reason for the resilver?
a disk went bad, I had to replace it, soon after replacing the bad HDD it started the "resilver" process. Process went on and on for hours, unfortunately server stop responding, I was force to reboot. after rebooting started "resilver" process again, from zero. I put the HDD offline replace it "thinking it was a factory bad HHD" started the "resilver" process again.

Also, is there any reason that stops you from upgrading to 8.3 or 8.4?

You're suggesting to upgrade FreeBSD to 8.3? would this process damage data on zpool? if I upgrade FreeBSD, do I need to import/export zpool?

8.3 made ZFS actually usable for us, 9.1 improved it further and with 10.1, it’s just great.
If I build another machine with latest FreeBSD, is it difficult to import/export zpool?

Thanks in advance,
-Motty