Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 2020 01:36:20 +0000
From:      James Wright <james.wright@jigsawdezign.com>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ukbd key repeat behaviour changed?

> On 3 Mar 2020, at 21:19, Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org> wrote:
>=20
> On 2020-03-03 21:38, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>> On 2020-03-03 18:44, James Wright wrote:
>>>=20
>>>    After recently updating my MacBookAir to 12-STABLE r358483 (which =
i do once a month), I'm making numerous mistypes using the keyboard on =
the vt console than ever before.
>>>=20
>>>    This is most apparent when I boot up FreeBSD and login to the =
console, as I consistently fail to enter my password correctly unless I =
slowly type it out.
>>>=20
>>>    It's hard to reproduce as you have to type quickly, and not all =
key combos seem to cause the issue, but I've noticed that extra repeated =
keystrokes are being inserted into the output.
>>>=20
>>>    For example, typing  "ls -l <Enter>" quickly sometimes causes the =
terminal to show "ls ---l" or "ls -lll", or multiple new lines to appear =
at the end.
>>>=20
>>>    Has something changed with the default key repeat timings =
recently, and has anyone else noticed this behaviour?
>> Hi,
>> The ukbd's keyboard timing should not have changed. Can you show the =
output from:
>> usbconfig show_ifdrv
>> Run as root?
>=20
> Also try:
>=20
> sysctl hw.usb.ukbd.debug=3D16
>=20
> This will print all the key-presses in dmesg. Maybe you find something =
buggy there.
>=20
> --HPS

As requested;

# usbconfig show_ifdrv                                                   =
                                                                         =
                  =20
ugen0.1: <0x8086 XHCI root HUB> at usbus0, cfg=3D0 md=3DHOST spd=3DSUPER =
(5.0Gbps) pwr=3DSAVE (0mA)                                               =
                                         =20
ugen0.1.0: uhub0: <0x8086 XHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 3.00/1.00, addr =
1>                                                                       =
                                  =20
ugen0.2: <Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub> at usbus0, cfg=3D0 md=3DHOST =
spd=3DFULL (12Mbps) pwr=3DON (94mA)                                      =
                                                 =20
ugen0.3: <Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad> at usbus0, =
cfg=3D0 md=3DHOST spd=3DFULL (12Mbps) pwr=3DON (500mA)                   =
                                              =20
ugen0.3.0: uhid0: <Device Management>                                    =
                                                                         =
                                 =20
ugen0.3.1: ukbd0: <Keyboard / Boot>                                      =
                                                                         =
                                 =20
ugen0.3.2: wsp0: <Trackpad / Boot>                                       =
                                                                         =
                                 =20
ugen0.4: <Apple Card Reader> at usbus0, cfg=3D0 md=3DHOST spd=3DSUPER =
(5.0Gbps) pwr=3DON (224mA)                                               =
                                            =20
ugen0.4.0: umass0: <Apple Card Reader, class 0/0, rev 3.00/8.20, addr 3>=20=

However, to confirm it's not just my typing, I booted into my old kernel =
(r357365) and I don't see the issue as in the newer revision (r358484).

I think it may be something to do with the latest version not resetting =
the initial repeat delay when another key is pressed, e.g.

1) Hold down the 'a' key.
2) Wait a split second just before the 'a' key should start repeating, =
and press 'l' key whilst still holding the 'a' key.
3) There should be a renewed initial delay before the 'l' key starts =
repeating, but I think it starts repeating almost immediately (as if it =
were still counting from the press of the 'a' key).

Hope that makes some sense! :-)

James