Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2017 00:15:44 +0300
From:      Andrey Chernov <ache@freebsd.org>
To:        "Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya)" <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shutdown -r doesn't execute rc.d sequence

--G0adDj5hAqRloaD3cHOBCakL6tBkAbxCI
From: Andrey Chernov <ache@freebsd.org>
To: "Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya)" <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc: current@freebsd.org

--CK2fkpXM9bT4TmFnq0JCrtDEAKU1HNwNq

On 28.03.2017 22:33, Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya) wrote:
>=20
>> On Mar 28, 2017, at 12:30, Andrey Chernov <ache@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> With latest -current amd64, reboot happens almost immediately, leaving=

>> FS dirty. No proper backward rc.d or /usr/local/etc/rc.d sequence
>> execution is shown. No deactivating GELI swap too.
>=20
> Hi Andrey,
> 	Do you have a typescript demonstrating this? Adding rc_debug=3Dyes to =
/etc/rc.conf would be super helpful, along with `boot -v`, to see whether=
 the issue is in userspace or rc(5).
> 	I=E2=80=99ll double check my amd64/i386 VMs too (if possible, redirect=
 the output over serial to a typescript for analysis).
> 	Are you using vanilla FreeBSD, a fork, or a packaged variant (mfsbsd, =
nanobsd, etc)?
> Thanks!
> -Ngie
>=20

Using rc_debug=3Dyes I see that it is the kernel problem, not rc problem.=

Sometimes rc backward sequence executed even fully, sometimes only
partly, but in unpredictable moment inside rc sequence the kernel decide
to reboot quickly (or even deadly hang in rare cases). Always without
any "Syncing buffers..." leaving FS dirty. No zfs etc. just normal UFS,
no EFI, no GPT.
I change GELI swap to normal one, but it does not help. The same
untouched config works for years, I see this bug for the first time in
FreeBSD.