Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:57:25 +0200
From:      Torsten Zuehlsdorff <info@toco-domains.de>
To:        ruby@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Gitlab] Current Status of the port

Hello all,

after porting GitLab to support Rails 4.2 was not very successful, i've
started to get Rails 4.1 back into ports. You've already seen the PRs ;)

Normally i do not talk much if i'm not confident in the things i'm saying.

But today i reached a point, where i would say, that only some work is
left to finish the port. :)

Currently there are 3 problems open on my list:

- even if the git user is added to the redis group, gitlab is not able
to use the redis socket. I could change the permission to 777 for the
socket, but this seems very dirty to me

- the executable files in bin/ need an o+x currently. I believe this
could be fixed in the rc-script

- the rc-script makes me unhappy. i used the one from gitlab-recipes,
but its not as good as i want it. For example it do not check rc.conf
for gitlab_enable="YES"

You are welcome to have a look at my current work:
svn checkout svn://svn.toco-domains.de/freebsd-ports/www/gitlab

BUT it is not usable for you. To build the Port 40 Rails 4.1
(slave-)ports are needed. There are all finished (and need a last
check), but i will convert them to PRs just after i finished the work at
the Gitlab port.

I've also started a documentation for the users:
https://github.com/t-zuehlsdorff/gitlabhq/blob/master/doc/install/installation-freebsd.md

English is not my native language. Feel free to improve everything ;)

Greetings,
Torsten