Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 2015 11:28:56 -0700
From:      Chris Stankevitz <chris@stankevitz.com>
To:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Name/label/id metadata: how do I make it go away

Hi,

For those wanting to teach me to fish:

In the context of naming a disk that has no partitions, can you explain
to me the difference among these terms:
- gpt label
- gpt id
- glabel
- gpart
- /dev/diskid/*
- disk_ident
- geom
- bsdlabel

For those wanting to give me a fish:

I have a zfs pool of "entire disks".  "zpool status" shows some disks
with their daX name (which I prefer) and some with a hideously ugly name
such as DISK-%20%20%20%20%20-WD-WMC4NOH1ASDF

I can make the hideously ugly names temporarily go away with:

zpool export foo
glabel stop diskid/DISK-%20%20%20%20%20-WD-WMC4NOH1ASDF
zpool import foo

However I cannot make them permanently go away:
zpool export foo
glabel clear da6
 > Can't clear metadata on da6: Invalid argument.

In a prior life these drives were in a FreeNAS setup which presumably
added the labels.  I did not erase the labels before I recommissioned
the drives in my new FreeBSD setup.  I'm happy to use dd to erase the
metadata but I do not know how the labels were added.  Presumably when I
understand that I will know which blocks need to be zero-ed out.  I need
to "surgically" dd to avoid data loss from my zfs disks.  I have
backups.... actually the problem pool is a backup pool.

Thank you,

Chris