Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 2015 16:10:02 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Add isboot iSCSI boot driver to FreeBSD

--vv44pXIglhvUqG7LGCpncGUfDmJ0Hu6rk

On 2015-09-23 11:16, John Nielsen wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2015, at 2:12 AM, Yonas Yanfa <yonas@fizk.net> wrote:
>=20
>> isboot is a iSCSI boot driver written by Daisuke Aoyama that allows yo=
u to boot your root partition using iSCSI.
> [,,,]
>> This was first announced way back in June, 2010:
>>
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-scsi/2010-June/004425.html=

>> I've tested the current version (v0.2.10) and it works with FreeBSD 10=
=2E2 booting a ZFS on root installation:

>> http://www.peach.ne.jp/archives/isboot/isboot-0.2.10.tar.gz
>>
>> I've used iSCSI boot with Ubuntu Server for a while and it's been very=
 useful. I'm looking forward to FreeBSD having the same capability built-=
in.
>=20
> +1. I have used this module in the past and it is extremely useful. Tha=
nks for the pointer, I wasn=E2=80=99t aware it had been updated for FreeB=
SD 10.x so recently. I=E2=80=99ve also wondered why this is not part of F=
reeBSD by default.
>=20
> Aoyama-san, do you have any objection to this code being included in Fr=
eeBSD? If not, can you formally assign it a BSD or other friendly license=
? Thank you again for the work!
>=20

It appears to already have a standard BSD2 license on it.

> Trasz (or anyone), is there other work to support iSCSI booting and/or =
IBFT on FreeBSD? Anything else isboot might conflict with? Any problems w=
ith integrating the code or with the code itself?
>=20
> In the mean time, I=E2=80=99m going to work on adding an isboot port to=
 the tree to further ease installation and increase exposure.
>=20
> JN
>=20
rg"