Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 2015 14:42:50 -0500
From:      Manas Bhatnagar <b.manas.88@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding diskspace to a bhyve instance

On 19/11/15 12:20 PM, John wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> What's the best way of increasing the space of a bhyve guest instance?
> Would it be via growfs? Inside or outside of the vm? Or would it be
> better to truncate another chunk of space and refer to it in /etc/fstab?
>
> thanks,

Hello John,

-	Do you use virtio-blk (a file created with 'truncate') or ahci-hd (A
ZFS filesystem, for example) for your guest disk? You have to increase
the space of the virtual disk that bhyve uses.
	- If you used 'truncate', my guess is that you can use truncate to
create a new file of larger size. Then, boot into a livecd in bhyve with
both disks and do a 'dd' from one disk to the other. I have tried to
'dd' between files on the host but that didn't seem to work.
	- If it is a ZFS filesystem, create a new filesystem with 'zfs create
-V 50gb zroot/new-volume/' then use a 'zfs send ... | zfs receive ...'

-	Are these FreeBSD guests (and which filesystem - UFS or ZFS) or Linux
guests?
	- If these are FreeBSD guests running UFS, look at
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/disks-growing.html
	- If these are FreeBSD guests running ZFS, you can probably create the
filesystems on your new disk and then use zfs send & receive
	- If these are linux guests, you will have to use a livecd and
something like 'gpart'.

Thanks,
Manas