Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 2016 12:22:27 +0000
From:      Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        Renato Botelho <garga@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>, Gabor Radnai <gabor.radnai@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EFI/ZFS Update: successful tests, need more complex vdevs

On 15/01/2016 11:51, Renato Botelho wrote:
>> On Jan 15, 2016, at 00:41, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Just wanted to let everyone know that I just finished committing these changes to the tree.
>>
>> Huge thanks to Eric's for his work on this, as well as everyone else who contributed.
>>
>> I've set the target for MFC of 2 weeks, so I hope to be able to get this into stable/10 before the 10.3 slush, so if you're interested in this change please test a head build > r294068 ASAP.
> Great work, thanks!
>
> Is there a way to move a installed ZFS system to EFI?

All EFI needs is an valid EFI partition on a GPT disk and the updated
loader.efi so if your devices is GPT based and you have space for an
extra 800k partition then yes.

The following should be the basic steps you need (untested so backup
your data)
1. gpart add -t efi -s 800k <dev>
2. gpart bootcode -p /boot/boot1.efifat  -i <idx> <dev>
3. Ensure your root filesystem has EFI ZFS boot compatible world e.g.
      cd /usr/src && make buildworld -jXX && make installworld

If you have an active MBR then you will likely need to disable this as
EFI seems to ignore disks with active MBR even if they have a valid EFI
partition.

If you don't have space then you'll need to migrate to a difference
device to change the disk partition layout.

     Regards
     Steve