Date:      Sun, 6 Mar 2011 22:22:18 +0100
From:      "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
To:        Alexander Sack <pisymbol@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FIPS compliant openssl possible within the FreeBSD build systems?

On 3 Mar 2011, at 18:23, Alexander Sack wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Alexander Sack <pisymbol@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>> Hello:
>>=20
>> I am a bit confused!  I am reading the FIPS user guide and the
>> following document:
>>=20
>> http://www.openssl.org/docs/fips/fipsnotes.html
>>=20
>> I quote
>>=20
>> "If even the tiniest source code or build process changes are =
required
>> for your intended application, you cannot use the open source based
>> validated module directly. You must obtain your own validation. This
>> situation is common; see "Private Label" validation, below. "
>>=20
>> Also, the openssl distribution has to match the right PGP keys.
>>=20
>> So to those who are more of Openssl/FIPS experts than I, I have some
>> basic questions:
>>=20
>> 1)  I assume if it impossible to make a FIPS capable openssl
>> distribution straight out of the FreeBSD source tree without "Private
>> Validation" as defined in the document above? (i.e. you can certainly
>> build it this way but you are violating the guidelines for FIPS
>> Compliance or do the maintainers out of src/crypto/openssl ENSURE =
that
>> the distro in that tree is equivalent to the openssl distro, even for
>> PGP key checks?)
[...]
> I guess to put things more simply:
>=20
> Is the distribution integrated within the FreeBSD source tree been
> validated against its PGP keys so it can be built FIPS capable?

For all the imports I did of OpenSSL to the FreeBSD base system (which =
means any OpenSSL import since FreeBSD 7.0), the PGP key for the source =
tar was verified. That said, in the FreeBSD base system totally replace =
the OpenSSL build system and 'manually' apply fixes for the OpenSSL =
security issues we certainly don't build OpenSSL unmodified.

I never had a reason to look at OpenSSL FIPS, so I don't really know if =
it's possible to get it working on FreeBSD, but it's possible you can =
manually build and install stock OpenSSL by hand.

--=20
Simon L. B. Nielsen
Hats: Ex-OpenSSL maintainer, FreeBSD Deputy Security Officer