Date:      Thu, 27 Oct 2016 20:05:52 +0200
From:      Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unexpected ahci-hd bytes when running in bhyve(8)

 Hello,

I wanted to use a "roaming" ssd with byhve/vmm, which is the home of a
GPT based FreeBSD setup.
I've been using this for years with ESXi and bare-metal-hosts, and
wanted to try out bhyve.
Unfortunately this doesn't work the way I'm used to.
Booting of ufs:/dev/gpt/myROOT fails with error 19, loader does only see
a diskid/BHYVEDISK, not the GPT partitions.

I guess ahci-hd isn't 1:1 mapping blocks, neither does virtio-blk, since
it shows exactly the same result, which is a bit strange to me:
When I boot a Live-CD in vmm with the physical SSD ahci-hd attached, the
first 8kByte of /dev/ada0 is 0x0.

The same test on the host ('dd if=/dev/ada4 count=16 | hd') shows me
PMBR and GPT content, which I also expected to see in bhyve…

What am I missing?

Here's my switches:

bhyve -u -A -H -P \
-S \
-s 0,hostbridge \
-s 6,passthru,6/0/0 \
-s 31,lpc \
-s 1,ahci-cd,releases/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso \
-s 7,ahci-hd,/dev/ada4 \
-l com1,/dev/nmdm0A \
-m 3G -c 4 preed

/dev/ada4 is the "roaming" (hotpuggable) SSD on the host.

Thanks for any hint,

-harry