Date:      Tue, 01 Feb 2000 09:52:19 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@research.kpn.com>
Subject:   RE: Bad memory suspected

Hoi Jan Willem,

I would tend to agree with Doug White about a "make world" being a good
memory test. However, I suspect Doug has the kind of system that will do a
make world in a minute or two.

You should run "make world" to verify your test results, but if you've just
plopped in a new SIMM, making the world is just too heavy.

> Any pointers to nightly reading material??

Since FreeBSD systems will start pumping out random signal 11's in the face
of bad memory, try searching the -hardware and -questions list for that. I
believe that someone actually wrote a signal 11 FAQ, but I don't have a
pointer.

There is a (Linux) program named memtest that will do just what you suggest.
You can dd(1) the binary onto an unused 1 meg partition and have booteasy
drop you in without even touching an OS.

    Kees Jan