Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:06:32 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   BDK and JITs (and NetBSD)

Dear All,

One: The BDK dumps core if you've compiled the JDK with lesstif. If you
haven't moved to openmotif, I guess now is as good a time as any. Thanks to
Alec Kalinin for finding this out (the hard way).

Two: I've tried to follow my own instructions to install a JIT, after some
reports that they did not work properly. They are indeed quite useless. :-/

If I install the *FreeBSD ports* of either shuJIT or TYA, I cannot seem to
to use those with our JDK port. After digging up the actual reason why it
cannot find the JIT, it turns out that there are unresolved symbols in both
of them (lock_something in TYA and resolveClass in shuJIT). I lost the
actual names when my machine drowned in microtime problems, but I can dig
them up again if anyone is interested.

Has anyone gotten these ports to work?

<whine>
I wish Sun would clean up their exception handling. You don't catch an
exception, only to throw the exact same exception with the message useful
stripped off and replaced with a "friendly" but utterly useless message. The
JDK is a programming tool, it does not have to be perfectly user friendly.
</whine>

Three: While typing up this e-mail I have received some new toys for the
NetBSD port: a Sun IPX, a Sun Javastation and an HP712/100. Anyone up for a
NetBSD port of the JDK?

Does anyone know where to get the boot image for the Javastation? :)

    Kees Jan

 TV is the worst  of both  worlds.  It's not  as
 good at words  as radio is because the pictures
 are a distraction  which demand  attention, and
 it's not as good as cinema because the pictures
 are not nearly as good.       [Douglas Adams]