Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 2020 21:42:01 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a swap partition to the March 5 snapshot image

On 2020-Mar-5, at 21:26, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2020-Mar-5, at 20:54, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:
>>
>> I've been trying for a while to set up an armv7 RPI2 with a single
>> root partition plus a swap partition at the end of mmcsd0. Letting
>> firstboot invoke growfs seems not to help, since growfs leaves no
>> space for swap.
>>
>> Attempts using gpart in single-user give the appearance of
>> working, but on reboot the machine stops at the mountroot prompt.
>> This method worked well in July of 2018. Seemingly, no more.
>>
>> Has something changed?
>>
>> Mounting the armv7 card on a second Freebsd box and making the changes
>> appears to work also, but on the initial boot (firstboot disabled) the
>> machine stops at the mountroot prompt on initial boot.
>>
>> If there's a better way to pursue the same end I'd be grateful for
>> a hint. Perhaps giving a swap size  parameter to firstboot?
>
> You have not reported what shows if you enter a "?" command at the
> mountroot prompt. (As I remember that lists what mount root
> classifies as available.)
>
> That might prove to be useful information.

Ahh, "March 5 snapshot image"? The only head 20200305 images are
for amd64: everything else failed to build for head -r358658 .

Are you using stable/12 images? Those built ( 12.1-STABLE -r358659 ),
including for RPI2.

All stable/11 builds failed.

(You seem to usually use head but did not comment on using
stable/12. So I'm just checking the context here.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went