Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 2009 18:39:12 -0400
From:      Mikel King <mikel.king@olivent.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: best FBSD version for commercial use.

On Oct 9, 2009, at 3:40 PM, Polytropon wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 15:04:42 -0400, Mikel King
> <mikel.king@olivent.com> wrote:
>> Recommend sticking with 7.x branch until 8.0 has been through one or
>> two solid releases. Then  you should be able to perform a csup and
>> rebuild the world to the current version of 8.x at the time.
>
> So you would not recommend 8 (as RC1 at the state of the moment)
> for commercial use. Regarding your explaination, I do understand
> this. It's often mentioned that x.0 releases aren't "that good".
>
> But allow me a follow-up question: Is 8.0-RC1 already recommendable
> for a home desktop, or would 7.2 be the version of choice? I'm
> asking this because of the many improvements especially the USB
> subsystem has gotten in 8 which would be important for the "plug
> and play experience" for USB devices...

Well the general rule of thumb has always been that unless you NEED a
feature of the newest version it is best to continue running the
existing stable release on your mission critical production boxes.
Once the current release is passed the initial .0 stage most feel it
is safe to adopt it in a production environment. Sometimes this may
take a little longer than expected, but I would wait until 8.1 before
I put it on my mission critical production boxes.

Cheers,
Mikel