Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 2015 11:29:22 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Storage question

On Sep 9, 2015, at 1:24, William A. Mahaffey III <wam@hiwaay.net> wrote:

> On 09/08/15 16:39, Paul Pathiakis via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> Just curious, why not ZFS?  It is extremely stable and then you don't =
have to worry about properly sizing but you can limit the size of a =
parition from growing out of control.  Due to the pooling, you have =
access to all your storage on the drive to all the partitions.
>=20
> Good question. 1 of the new boxen (the one that is tight for storage) =
is tight for CPU, quad-core AMD A4-5000, 1.5 GHz, not much firepower, & =
will be tasked w/ MythTV by default, so I guessed that adding ZFS might =
overpower it. I otherwise agree w/ the advantages of ZFS.

Unless you turn on compression (and I would NOT on a MythTV box), ZFS is =
generally not CPU bound but more constrained by RAM. I have been running =
all ZFS systems on N40 and N54 CPUs (HP Micro Proliant servers) which =
are dual core 1.0 and 1.3 GHz and getting reasonable speed. I can =
sustain about 60 MB/sec writes via Samba with compression on. I have 8 =
GB in one and 16 GB in the other.

--
Paul Kraus
paul@kraus-haus.org