Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 2020 09:41:43 -0400
From:      Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to see shutdown log

Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 20:58:01 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>> When you boot the system a bunch of messages roll across the screen to
>> fast to read. The dmesg -a command will show these to you to read at
>> your own pace. When you issue the shutdown or halt command a bunch of
>> different messages roll across the screen to fast to read.
>>
>> Is there a way view these messages after the system comes back up later?
>
> Yes, those are located to /var/log/messages, as long as
> file system access is possible; the last kernel messages
> therefore aren't being logged.

I checked and what is logged to /var/log/messages on host shutdown is no
were close to the messages I see fly past on the console terminal.

This is real easy for people to test so give it a run.

Thinking maybe something else is controlling what goes to the message
file on shutdown. Have any ideas where I should look?