Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:08:41 +0000
From:      Igor Ostapenko <igor.ostapenko@pm.me>
To:        Paul Floyd <paulf2718@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Add jail execution environment support to the FreeBSD test suite

On Friday, February 23rd, 2024 at 10:30 AM, Paul Floyd <paulf2718@gmail.com=
> wrote:
>=20
> Will there be an option to turn this off globally?
>=20
> I sometimes run test suits with Valgrind. I'm not aware of any option to
> do that cleanly so I just do it with brute force: run kyua and all
> children under Valgrind.
>=20
> valgrind --trace-children=3Dyes -q kyua test -k Kyuafile
>=20
> Adding jails into the mix is likely to give worse results. I did try
> using an x86 jail as an alternative to VirtualBox but I gave up as I got
> too many test failures.
>=20

Thanks for your attention and mention of your use case.

I've added this point to my TODO. I guess it could look as the following:

=09valgrind --trace-children=3Dyes -q kyua -v execenv=3Dhost test -k Kyuafi=
le

It would skip tests designed for other execution environments and run only
"host" ones.

I think execenv Kyua config variable could be a list actually. By default, =
if
jail feature is present it could be set to "host jail", i.e. to run tests
designed for all environments.

As long as tests which opted-in to use execenv=3D"jail" seem to be out of y=
our
interest in your specific case it looks to be as one of the options. I was
thinking about possiblity that a test could be ready to run within "host" a=
nd
"jail" env, I actually wrote such tests and they work, but it needs more
effort from a test author and can be error prone. Anyway, Kyua itself canno=
help with duality of a test. Some tests can be freely run as "host" or "jai=
l"
without any change, others may need quite an effort to prepare for both cas=
es.

Does it look like something that would cover your production needs?

Best regards, Igor.

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?5XGsuxCWojiK7f1wBuoC73PWMtjVB3oCvsy1vHQtNr5UHC_2LN8zNGczKwpQEs4Pcc8g1G3Rir4uIrQ9iUxKbWmonsEu5f_mHzldy4vuYk4=>