Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2019 14:36:05 -0400
From:      Charlie Li <ml+freebsd@vishwin.info>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, Antoine Brodin <antoine@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel regression in head, now unusable for package building

--qdudqLExNYFMRgXTjPvdUEMw4vW3seuf0
From: Charlie Li <ml+freebsd@vishwin.info>
To: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>,
 Antoine Brodin <antoine@freebsd.org>
Cc: FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>

--dAW4nJEYf06va0g6RZDofQ7lvDH5bYpMS

Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 12:10:23AM +0200, Antoine Brodin wrote:
>> There seems to be a kernel regression in head,  that happened
>> somewhere between r343921 and r345991.
>> When launching "poudriere bulk -a",  the ssh session is terminated
>> when poudriere attempts to clone/start builders (tmpfs mounts, file
>> copying...),  the jails don't start and the consequence is that we
>> can't build any package.
> Are there any more details about the issue ?  It is not clear, does the=

> machine survives the event, i.e. did kernel paniced, what are the conso=
le
> messages, any more details that you can provide.
>=20
I just ran into this both on a remote machine and the laptop I'm typing
on right now. At least the reference jail does start and run, as any
subsequent poudriere-bulk(8) invocations detect it. The entire login
session is killed in the process, and the only clue of anything I can
find (at least in the syslog) is that ntpd exits with Hangup:

Apr  8 14:12:27 ardmore ntpd[74109]: ntpd exiting on signal 1 (Hangup)

This seems to happen randomly, but still quite often. Restarting ntpd
can help, though ntpd can still exit and kill the login again. Without
ntpd running, running poudriere-bulk(8) is guaranteed to kill the login.

--=20
Charlie Li
=E2=80=A6nope, still don't have an exit line.

(This email address is for mailing list use; replace local-part with
vishwin for off-list communication if possible)