Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:41:18 -0600
From:      tech@nano.net
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck

Hi Peter,

The hard drive is in the fridge right now, in case it's a heat problem.
It's FreeBSD version 4.x. It's getting hard read errors, and I'm using -y
with fsck so it will continue on to the next error without prompting from
me. The same thing happens whether I use the -y flag or not. It says that
certain sectors are bad, moves on to the next bad sectors, and eventually
says I need to rerun fsck. It's like "Groundhog Day", I get the same thing
over and over and over... Nothing happened since the last boot, I was
gzipping up the home folders to transfer to a new server (just in time I
guess...) and it started getting really slowly. So I rebooted it from the
command line and when it came back up it had problems. It has been
restarted a few times in the past week and showed no errors at all before
yesterday.

It found the same type of errors on the /var partition and dealt with those
without problems. So I'm wondering what the difference might be... The /var
partition found errors, fixed them, and marked the partition as clean.

Maybe I can mount a dirty partition..... I just need the data off it...