Date:      Fri, 06 May 2005 15:11:39 -0400
From:      Allen <bsdlists@rfnj.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Benchmarking mpsafevfs with parallel tarball extraction

At 14:48 5/6/2005, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 11:35:29AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > I might be bumping into the bandwidth of md here - when I ran less
> > rigorous tests with lower concurrency of extractions I seemed to be
> > getting marginally better performance (about an effective concurrency
> > of 2.2 for both 3 and 10 simultaneous extractions - so at least it
> > doesn't seem to degrade badly).  Or this might be reflecting VFS lock
> > contention (which there is certainly a lot of, according to mutex
> > profiling traces).
>
>I suspect that I am hitting the md bandwidth:
>
># dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/md0 bs=1024k count=500
>500+0 records in
>500+0 records out
>524288000 bytes transferred in 9.501760 secs (55177988 bytes/sec)
>
>which is a lot worse than I expected (even for a 400MHz CPU).

That looks pretty goofy.  Even PC66 SDRAM should be able to push ~250MB/s
on a very slow processor.  Does the md code for raw access really load this
much work onto the CPU??

>For some reason I get better performance writing to a filesystem
>mounted on this md:

Part of me wants to think that maybe this is due to some fashion of
metadata caching, in the manner of softupdates.  Possible?