Date:      Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:18:02 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        Koen Martens <fbsd@metro.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic in propagate_priority w/ postgresql under heavy load

------------D515224B21B865FA

On 2005-09-01 at 19:02:06 Koen Martens wrote:

> Anyway, it seems the dump should've gone to the swap partition, but
> i'm into multi-user mode again so i guess i'll have to wait for
> another panic to obtain it?

Yes.  By now, if any dump was ever written to your swap partition, it
will most probably have been overwritten by your heavy postgres
activity. :)

In RELENG_6, the dump device is chosen automagically during boot by
/etc/rc.d/dumpon, but this is (alas) not the case in RELENG_5_x, so
you'll have to manually specify it in /etc/rc.conf, i.e:

  dumpdev=3D/dev/ad0s1b

Then make sure you have enough space in /var/crash, and try to
reproduce your panic...

Also, I think I read somewhere that there used to be problems with
dumping and 3Ware RAID cards (you seem to be using one according to
your kernel config, but you apparently didn't post a dmesg).  However,
it looks like revision 1.22.2.1 of src/sys/dev/twe/twe.c fixed that:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/twe/twe.c?rev=3D1.22.2.1&=
content-type=3Dtext/x-cvsweb-markup

Just to be sure, can you check if you got this version of twe.c, or
1.22.2.2 (which seems to be the RELENG_5_4 version, and thus it should
be fixed).

------------D515224B21B865FA

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFDF3AKsF6jCi4glqMRAvehAKC3nZZuUOEsE2ullNpx2iyqDdkTDACgokuY
s7Uxb7EkItL3ksJQtdRZMXk=
=qO+V
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

------------D515224B21B865FA--