Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:13:55 -0800
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        Claus Guttesen <cguttesen@yahoo.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: postgresql on FreeBSD 5.3 and high load

> Our postgresql-server hits the wall when we get many
> hits on our web. The load-average reaches 70. It
> serves 11 webservers.

Have you looked to see if you're using spin locks or not?  Search for
"amd64 x86_64 spin lock" in PostgreSQL's archives.  I think spin locks
were disabled for amd64.  When you're at a load of 70, look in
pg_catalog.pg_locks to see if you have any ungranted locks.

Also, is your application primarily read?  You may want to investigate
using pgpool as a way of reducing the overhead for connection startup.

Another option is to use memcached and remove some queries from the
database all together.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden