Date:      Mon, 25 Jul 2016 11:28:58 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj@cyclaero.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw divert filter for IPv4 geo-blocking

I have written a ipfw divert filter daemon for IPv4 geo-blocking. It is =
working flawlessly on two server installations since a week.

Anyway, I am still in doubt whether I do the blocking in the correct =
way. Once the filter receives a packet from the respective divert socket =
it looks up the country code of the source IP in the IP-Ranges database, =
and if the country code shall be allowed then it returns the unaltered =
packet via said socket, otherwise, the filter does no further =
processing, so the packet is effectively gone, lost, dropped, discarded, =
or whatever would be the correct terminology. Is this the really the =
correct way of denying a packet, or is it necessary to inform ipfw =
somehow about the circumstances, so it can run a proper dropping =
procedure?

I uploaded the filter + accompanying tools to GitHub

   https://github.com/cyclaero/ipdb

Many thnaks for any advices in advance.

Best regards

Rolf