Date:      Fri, 18 May 2018 23:22:26 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        Alex Aminoff <aminoff@nber.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can one remove a specific file from all snapshots?

> Am 18.05.2018 um 22:17 schrieb Alex Aminoff <aminoff@nber.org>:
>=20
> The use case here is that we have data sets of sensitive data that we =
are contractually obligated to delete with no backups at a certain point =
in time. The datasets are stored on a ZFS filesystem (on a truenas from =
IxSystems as it happens). The snapshots are kept for 15 days, so at the =
moment we have to rm the files 15 days before the deadline to be =
compliant. Is there a way to delete a specific file from the live =
filesystem as well as all the snapshots?
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2014-October/020307.html
>=20
> but I don't think it is relevant, and in any case it does not appear =
that the feature that post describes was implemented.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20

AFAIK, snapshots are still read-only.

BTRFS seems to have writable snapshots - but I=E2=80=99ve no idea how it =
actually works.

I would suggest to change your contracts - that will be much easier than =
changing ZFS.