Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:11:13 -0700
From:      John Clark <jeclark2006@aim.com>
To:        "freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Freescale P1020 PCIE and device enumeration problem.

Of and on I've been working on getting FreeBSD up and running on a =
P1020WLAN evaluation board. With some help and some hackerage I've been =
able to get the board up enough to use one of the ethernet tsec devices =
to mount an NFS root.

I've moved on to look at getting the drivers up for my PCIE devices, and =
seem to be having problems both 'conceptually', and more specifically =
how FreeBSD enumerates devices on the PCIE bus.

The file powerpc/mpc85xx/pci_fdt.c seems to correctly 'find' the PCIE, =
and there is a 'pcib0' allocated, there does not seem to be any further =
bus probing to find the PCIE devices.

They exist, as my linux port does find the devices and calls the driver =
init functions, leading to useable devices when linux is fully booted.

I have noticed in other ports, say for the mips processor, the use of =
'hints' seems to be a popular way to indicate devices on the bus. =
However, I've also read that the DTS files are the preferred way to =
indicate the existence of devices. However, in the case of linux, the =
DTS files have no listing for the actual devices on the PCIE bus, just =
the config info for accessing the PCIE register regions.

If someone has some illuminating remarks on this topic I'd appreciate =
it.

Thanks,
John Clark.