Date:      Sat, 08 Aug 1998 17:48:13 -0500
From:      "Les LaCroix" <Les.LaCroix@Carleton.edu>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, "Thomas David Rivers" <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   followup: page fault in kernel mode

[A recap of the story: 2.2.6 and 2.2.7 panicked with a page fault in kernel
mode on an AMD-K6 300 w/ 100 MHz EPoX mbrd, 128 Mb ECC memory, Intel
EtherExpress Pro PCI NIC, 7200 RPM Seagate UltraIDE hard drive, Adaptec 1520
ISA SCSI adapter.  The fault was a read fault to the address in the
instruction pointer.  gdk -k was able to trace back only a few stack frames,
through the call stack for the system traps generated by the page fault but
no further.  I concluded that something was munging the stack, corrupting a
return address.  (Note that the faulty address was always the same.)
Removing the Adaptec 1520 dramatically reduced the frequency of the panics,
but did not eliminate them.]

I reinstalled the Adaptec 1520 and retrograded back to 2.2.5 a week ago, and
have been running around the clock since then with no panics.  The machine
is up and in production now, filling in for a terribly slow Sparcstation I
was previously sharing.

If someone would be interested in looking at a crash dump, I can try to
tempoarily re-install a 2.2.6 kernel.  I need a good excuse to do a large
backup anyway. :)  But I don't really have the expertise to dig into it
myself, nor can I afford to let the machine crash several times daily while
I'm trying to solve the problem.

Thanks again.
-----
Les LaCroix, Sr. Systems/Network Mgr, Carleton College