Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:40:46 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Performance numbers?

Hi GEOMers!

Does anyone have any benchmarks or numbers relating to GEOM performance?

I tried doing some on my own, but I didn't get very satisfactory
results, so I'm curious what others have seen or used.

My hardware is a Core 2 Quad, with 4GB of ram.

First, I made an mdconfig'ed malloc backed 'disk' of 1.5GB.  Then, I
tried running such tools as rawio, and diskinfo.  rawio fails with
input/output errors, and diskinfo wants a larger device to give the
full stats.  I ended up using purely dd since that worked.
Interestingly enough, dd'ing to the malloc device results in about
1000 operations per second, regardless of a blocksize of 512bytes or
1MB.

Do you all expect this 1000 operations per second to be limited by the
mdconfig'ed device, GEOM, both, all, none, ??  I'm looking for
pointers here mostly.  I really would like to see how many operations
(512byte really) the GEOM infrastructure can do on a particular piece
of hardware, so if there is a simpler way to do this test, give me a
hint.  :)

Thanks!
Eric