Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 17:12:05 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/pci pcisupport.c

> This doesn't answer my wondering. The core members can safely postpone
> the decision after Usenix, because all of core members must know that
> both new-bus people and newconfig people will come to Freenix track.

I'm not sure this was adequate reason to postpone the decision either,
and like I said, Peter had the time to do it and it wasn't clear when
he was next going to have the time again.  In a volunteer project, you
have to sometimes move when people are ready to move or you'll miss
your window of opportunity.

> Quite interesting. This means that FreeBSD doesn't choose technology
> by it's design, but by which spokes loudly. I definitely say that this
> is worst way to design software.

No, it doesn't mean that, it means that assessing technology isn't
JUST a question of looking at code since code, by its very nature,
changes rapidly - if you cannot see that then this conversation is
likely to be just about as productive as arguing with a first-year
high school student on the subject.  Evaluating technology is a
question of deciding which code is both superior AND has the best
longevity, longevity being a more difficult equation which combines
the history of the developers involved and how effective your
communications with them are.  In this case, I don't believe
communications are effective and that kills newconfig just as
thoroughly as having the code be a total mess; I think I've pointed
this out several times now.

> Have you ever asked to newconfig people?
> No, no one of core members who takes charge of kernel part contacted
> to newconfig people, ever.

As I told you before, I didn't even know you *existed* until I saw
your paper.  How am I supposed to contact you guys if I don't even
know you're alive?  There are presently over 5 billion people on the
planet and I can't call each and every one of them regularly to find
out whether or not they're working on FreeBSD. :)

The time for you guys to have contacted core (or, even better,
-hackers) to let us know of your existence was back when you started
your project, not at the point where you were so far along that papers
were being published.  Don't expect people to contact YOU since, as
I've said, people generally don't even know you exist until you tell
them.

> Note that there are core members who supports new-bus, everytime this
> issue is raised between core, new-bus people can reply about this,
> newconfig people never have that chance.

You don't "get" chances in this business, you MAKE chances. :)

> Can you write Japanese ?
> If no, why do you blame the one who cannot write English.

I'm very fortunate to have had my mother tongue chosen as the defacto
international language of computer science and don't think I don't
realize my degree of good fortune.  Had Japanese or French been chosen
instead, you may rest assured that I'd have put the time necessary
into learning those languages as well.  I'm certainly capable of
learning a foreign language when and if it's necessary, don't think
I'm an english bigot here or anything (sprechen Sie Deutsch? :), but
I'm also a realist and if the prevailing language of communication is
language X then I expect everyone concerned to just learn language X
and I don't particularly care how difficult it is, Just Do It and
don't whine about it is my motto.

To be more specific, I expect you and anyone else in Japan who wishes
to communicate with an international audience to learn english and,
should I ever live in Japan and need to speak frequently with Japanese
speakers, you may rest assured that I'll learn Japanese, however hard
that process might be.  We're supposed to be intelligent people here
and if we can't learn to speak others languages if and as necessary
then maybe we're not as intelligent as we think. :-)

> Please point out the "general annoyance from Japan".

I have seen a lot of arguing about technical merits and decisions made
by the core team, but I have yet to see any constructive comments
about fixing the communication problems which led to this decision.
Focusing on the negative and not the positive counts for "general
annoyance" in my book since people generally don't do that unless
they're annoyed.  I'm sure your command of english is not so deficient
that you're unable to make positive suggestions - I thought Japanese
people had more cultural difficulty in saying "no" than in saying
"yes" :-)

> Then you don't know about language barrier.
> Please learn Japanese, and write/speak Japanese, then you can find why
> the voice from Japan is not enough.

See above.

> Actually Japan is the country where FreeBSD most succeeded.
> There are over 50 books in Japan which includes "FreeBSD" in it's title.
> This is not joke.

I know, I've been to Akihabara and I've even taken pictures of the books
in question (http://www.freebsd.org/~jkh/japan/report/dayfive-books.jpg).
Don't think that I underestimate the importance of the Japanese
market - if I did, do you think I'd be taking time out *right before
USENIX* to fly over there for 3 days and Jet lag myself all to hell?
I don't think so. :-)

> Why don't ask Japanese people, then?
> Why don't you going to learn Japanese?

I'll be there shortly to do the first.  The second is unnecessary
since, as I've already pointed out, the international language here
for this kind of communication is english, not Japanese.

This is not restricted to computer science, by the way, so it's not
like we're being uniquely unfair about this.  If you want to be an
aircraft pilot, for instance, you're back to the very same problem.
The international language of aviation is english, and even when
you're flying in Japan, you can speak Japanese to the tower all you
like, and sometimes they'll even answer in Japanese, but you'll still
get written up in the safety report for endangering all the other
pilots in the air who NEEDED to hear and understand what you were
saying.  If you're saying in Japanese to the tower that you're on
final approach to runway 25 and the Mexico Airlines flight behind you,
who happens to think that HE has clearance for the same runway and
can't understand your radio traffic, is going for the same thing, he's
got no chance to say "wait, he's on final for 25 right?  That's MY
runway!  Crap, I'm about to run into this guy!"  The fact that your
native languages might be Japanese and Spanish, respectively, makes no
difference.  You have to find some common ground if you want to
prevent accidents, and in both general aviation and these mailing
lists, that common ground is English.

- Jordan