Date:      Wed, 22 May 2024 14:06:51 +0300
From:      Matthias Fechner <mfechner@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to add dependency to python binary

--------------USsBT5Mwnl0J6HuUxz3vL5N8

Dear all,

I need some help on how to get the python binary and not the python32
binary installed as a runtime dependency.
I tried to use:
USES= python:run

but that only installs the python39 package which only installed the
python30 binary.

If I add:
RUN_DEPENDS= python>=3.9:lang/python

to get the meta package for python installed, which adds the symlink
from python -> python39 I get an error message while building the package:

====> Running Q/A tests (stage-qa)
Error: lang/python should not be depended upon. Instead, use USES=python:xy with a specific version.
*** Error code 1

What is the recommended why to add python as a runtime dependency that the python binary is available?

Thanks a lot
Matthias

Rich Cook

--------------USsBT5Mwnl0J6HuUxz3vL5N8

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <head>

  </head>
      python32 binary installed as a runtime dependency.<br>
      I tried to use:<br>
      USES= python:run</p>
      the python30 binary.<br>
      If I add:<br>
      RUN_DEPENDS= python&gt;=3.9:lang/python</p>
      symlink from python -&gt; python39 I get an error message while
      building the package:<br>
    <pre>====&gt; Running Q/A tests (stage-qa)
Error: lang/python should not be depended upon. Instead, use USES=python:xy with a specific version.
*** Error code 1

What is the recommended why to add python as a runtime dependency that the python binary is available?
</pre>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">
Thanks a lot
Matthias