Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2013 18:15:48 -0500
From:      Stan Gammons <s_gammons@charter.net>
To:        Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports or packages?

On Aug 11, 2013, at 4:23 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>=
 wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Stan Gammons <s_gammons@charter.net> wrot=
e:
>=20
>> I know the binary packages were taken down after the security incident a
>> while back. Are many/any binary packages available now or does one still
>> have to build most everything from ports?  If binary packages are availab=
le
>> now, what is the URL to the repository?
>>=20
>> Stan
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html
>=20
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/
> ftp://ftp1.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/
> ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/
>=20

Assuming one has converted to the new packagement tool and added WITH_PKGNG=3D=
yes to /etc/make.conf, one could use the links for packagesite in pkg.conf t=
o install binary packages with pkg?  Can one have multiple packagesite state=
ments in pkg.conf?

I see the repositories don't have the latest versions, so portupgrade or por=
tmaster would be needed to upgrade to the latest versions from ports?  If so=
, can one mix and match pkg and portupgrade or portmaster or is that asking f=
or trouble?  i.e. use pkg to install packages and portupgrade or portmaster t=
o upgrade packages.

Stan