Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 00:57:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        core@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INRIA IPv6 on FreeBSD

> If I remember well, there are at least two WIDE implementations, one
> kernel-based and one using a user-mode daemon. I've not tried the WIDE ones
> but the INRIA code is heavily used in France where FreeBSD is one of the
> most used IPv6 platforms...
>
> FWIW IBM has chosen the INRIA as its IPv6 stack for AIX.

Sigh..  If we're to get any further with this, we really really need
to get out of the realm of the political ("xxx is running our stack!
We're #1!" :-) and into the realm of the technical.  WHY is it better
than the WIDE stuff?  How and where?  What are the _specific points of
comparison_ that we need to be aware of?

We've gotten to the stage where we're at now through the various IPv6
folks failing to talk to one another or look at the competing
offerings, choosing instead to go focus exclusively on one specific
favored implementation.  That has to change or FreeBSD likely as not
won't be adopting _anyone_'s IPv6 implementation because we're never
going to get past the vague handwaving stage.  Is it too much to ask
that someone at INRIA take a look at the WIDE stuff in *detail* and
vice-versa?

Sorry to sound peeved, but it's been a frustrating exercise trying to
get the various IPv6 camps to even consider working together and it
seems that it's always been a "use OUR stack!" issue rather than
"we'll get together,work something out and get back to you" with IPv6.
This wouldn't fly in any other area of FreeBSD development and I fail
to see why IPv6 should be any different.  You folks have GOT to start
working together because the current situation we have is just
ludicrous!  :-( :-(

- Jordan