Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2023 10:25:40 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   kmod ports and conflicts when upgrading

Hi,

As part of the work to run FreeBSD containers on other operating systems =
via Podman, I have written a device driver for the QEMU firmware config =
interface.  I am currently building this via an overlay port, but aim to =
upstream it into -CURRENT soonish.  In parallel, I=E2=80=99d like to add =
a port for it.

Both ports and base install kernel modules in the same place and so =
I=E2=80=99m worried that someone will install the port, update FreeBSD =
to a version that includes the module in base, and then end up with =
problems when the uninstall the port (or have the upgrade fail because =
the file already exists).

I=E2=80=99m sure this problem must have been solved for other things =
that have migrated in a similar path.  Is there a way to automatically =
uninstall a port when doing a major version upgrade or when a =
base-system thing tries to write to the same location (or, at least, =
ensure that it is not removed when the package is removed later)?

David=