Date:      Fri, 4 May 2018 18:26:46 +0900
From:      Josef Larsson <josef.lar@gmail.com>
To:        mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Routing performance (Buffalo WZR-HP-G301NH)

--z3GL2fKPqAIE6rLHluqeIG5aeTkvCLqIR
From: Josef Larsson <josef.lar@gmail.com>
To: mips@freebsd.org

--AgURqJgTsVAjDZfo69oAgTUCOIuXR56Rk

Hi,

I would like to use the Buffalo WZR-HP-G301NH as a router with pf. I use
a custom built ZRouter image for this. This works in practice, but I am
not happy with the performance (I basically can't download faster than
80 mbit/s).

I have a couple of concerns:

1. According to ps aux, there is an interrupt load at about 9 - 10 %
during idle conditions. Is this reasonable? It seems high to me.
2. When I am running "pmcstat -TS instructions -w1", there seems to be a
lot of action going on in uart_ar71xx_probe. Is this reasonable? There
are some unknown functions, and I am suspect that the function names are
not resolved correctly. Also, apb_attach is invoked a lot according
pmcstat. While the sampling percentage for this function is less than 2
%, I still find it odd that an attach function is invoked at idle...
3. When downloading a large file, the system becomes pretty much
unresponsive. When a "ps aux" call actually goes through, one can see
that the CPU is busy with ~100 % interrupt handling. This is what I
would like to profile with pmcstat, but the arge functions do not show
up as functions with high load, which is not really what I expect at
this point, since the interrupt definitely has to do with the LAN load.
Any suggestions on how to profile the arge driver?

Best regards,

Josef Larsson