Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:33:10 -0400
From:      Khachaturov Vassilii <Vassilii.Khachaturov@comverse.com>
To:        "'Tim Vanderhoek'" <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>, Ville Skytt? <scop@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Introduction

> Anyways, the hunk of crap at work is based on a cvsweb.cgi far too
> old to even think of merging the PVCS support into a current
> cvsweb.cgi.  However, maybe somebody else on this list has a copy
> of a newer cvsweb.cgi that supports PVCS?  Is there any interest
> in adding support to cvsweb.cgi for other source control systems,
> or is it pretty much pointless (outside our local repo)?
>
> Thoughts?
FYI: around here there is an in-house revision control system that is
based on RCS, and it evolved (starting about the same time as CVS)
along, initially, just as cvs, beginning just as a bunch of wrapper shell
scripts for RCS operations.

Its repository is similar to the CVS repository structure (directory
tree with RCS files), but there is different format for files/directories
deletion
info. That info is provided by some "rogue files" in the repository.

The way I am using cvsweb is setting up a fake cvsroot with symlinks
to our repositories in the above format.

I did submit upstream a cvsweb patch that got accepted so that cvsweb
would behave in the presence of the rogue files, but, naturally, I didn't
bother
supporting the local proprietary extensions - just because they're only
used in my company+maybe one other company that used to be our
subsidiary once, they're inferior to the CVS of today and I hope we'll
eventually transition to a better version control system. This also
helped with other rogue files of transient nature - like some
logging/reporting
software lockfiles, which also got stored in the cvs repository.
(All the rogue files are not named *,v and are not in the rcs(5) format).

In your case, however, the version control system is not an in-house one,
so maybe indeed there are other users of it that might be interested.
But I'd say if you want those integrated, you should also explain to people
how to (freely) set up a testing environment. Maybe you might team up with
some of the PVCS developers, or have them maintain a vendor-specific
patch for cvsweb to release with cvsweb and PVCS new releases.

V.

with "unsubscribe freebsd-cvsweb" in the body of the message