Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 10:23:14 -0400
From:      Ian Cartwright <ICartwright@IT.RJF.com>
To:        "'freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SCSI Speeds?

Hello, all.

I have a question regarding the relative speeds of devices on a SCSI bus. I
have two machines currently running FreeBSD. One is a P-200 with IDE and one
is a PII-360 with both IDE and SCSI drives. I boot off the the SCSI bus on
this machine. The IDE drives on both machines are UDMA-33. My SCSI drives
are as follows (reported by FreeBSD on boot up): ID0: Fast SCSI2 HDD 10.00
MB Xfer (Synchronous), ID1: Ultra SCSI2 HDD 40.00 MB Xfer (Synchronous),
ID2: SCSI2 CD-ROM 10.00 MB Xfer (Async), ID4: SCSI CD-Writer 3.300 MB Xfer
(Async), ID5: SCSI2 Tape (Xfer not reported, Asynch).

My question is this: why does it seem that the slower machine does disk
access much faster? When I was installing these machines newfs wrote
superblocks to the IDE drives much faster than to the SCSI drives, even
though the Ultra SCSI drive (my FreeBSD drive) should theoretically be much
faster... Many disk intensive operations seem to be faster on the IDE
drives. Any ideas as to why this should be?

Thanks!

Ian Cartwright
Senior Engineer
Raymond James Associates