Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:03:21 -0000
From:      Phil Taylor <phil@lansystems.co.uk>
To:        portmaster-users@portmasters.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: (PM) Infrastructure Design with Portmasters and FreeBSD/Zebra (long)

Among other things Krzysztof Adamski wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I use RFC1918 addresses in my network,
> for instance
> the two DNS server IPs that are hard coded in my customer
> setups (where
> needed) are from RFC1918. This way when I renumber I will not need to
> change this.

One caveat on this. I got caught-out when I did this as I had a number of
customers who couldn't access my dns servers when they were connected to a
LAN cause they were using the same RFC1918 addresses for their local
network.....

Just a thought, if you do this I would recommend that you pick a fairly
obscure 192.168 address, not 10.x.x.x as the default subnet mask gives you a
better chance of not using the same subnet as customers local networks, do
NOT pick 10.0.0.x for example as everyone with MS SBS will suffer :->

Cheers

Phil