Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 2021 08:20:30 +0100
From:      Evilham <contact@evilham.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Certbot crashes after update of python installed

On dg., febr. 21 2021, John Levine wrote:

> It's telling you what the problem is:
>
>>    raise VersionConflict(dist, req).with_context(dependent_req)
>>pkg_resources.ContextualVersionConflict: (cryptography 2.9.2
>>(/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages),
>>Requirement.parse('cryptography>=3.2'), {'PyOpenSSL'})
>
> It now requires version 3.2 or newer of the python cryptography
> package
> but the version in the ports and packages is only 2.9.2.
>
> You might drop a note to the person who maintains the
> py-cryptography
> port to see if he wants help updating it, or if you're feeling
> brave,
> you can use the python pip package manager to update it locally.
>
> (as root)
> # pkg install rust    # the crypto bits are written in rust
>
> # pip install -U cryptography
>
> # pkg lock py37-cryptography # tell freebsd package manager not
> to downgrade it
> # pkg delete rust    # if you don't otherwise need rust, get
> back 500MB
>
> I did this on FBSD 12.2 and it worked, leaving me with version
> 3.4.6 of cryptography.

Not 100% sure if following would have a positive effect on the
ports system, but it certainly would be useful for FreeBSD+pip
users if someone has the bandwidth to get involved upstream (the
Python cryptography project: https://github.com/pyca/cryptography)
and help them publish wheels for FreeBSD.
That would mean, e.g. that pulling rust is not necessary for pip
install cryptography.
--
Evilham