Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:28:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Amatus <c11h15no2@yahoo.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about updating guile to 1.8

--- Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 08:38 -0800, Amatus wrote:
> > --- Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The way you're doing it is probably best.  The way you submitted
> in
> > > the
> > > PR, while it may look correct, will most likely break INDEX when
> > > guile
> > > is not installed.   Try it.  Uninstall guile, then cd to
> lang/slib,
> > > and
> > > run "make describe".  Use of != is discouraged for commands which
> are
> > > not in the base system.
> > >
> > > Joe
> >
> > I uninstalled guile and make describe worked fine with some noise
> on
> > stderr.
>
> What output?  Any output on stderr is bad.

The "make describe" outputs "/usr/local/bin/guile-config: not found" on
stderr as you might expect and the exit code is 0. Since "make index"
pipes stdout to the INDEX file everything should work fine, just some
uglyness on the user's screen. If it's really important I can try 2>
/dev/null in the command or maybe a test -f to see if the file exists
first.

> >  I'm running into more problems with gnucash and lsh using
> > RUN_DEPENDS. I need to .include <bsd.port.pre.mk> before the != but
> if
> > I move it up too high in the file (before RUN_DEPENDS) then make
> > breaks. Would it be ok to just edit the dependency to be
> > "slib-guile>=3a4:${PORTSDIR}/lang/slib-guile" instead of
> > "${LOCALBASE}/share/guile/1.6/slibcat:${PORTSDIR}/lang/slib-guile"?
>
> This is fine.  Also, there's no dishonor in hardcoding the guile
> version.  It may look ugly, but guile's minor version hasn't changed
> much, and it's not too hard to chase.
>
> Joe

Be a better friend, newshound, and