Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:17:31 -0600
From:      Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
To:        Craig Leres <leres@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, d@delphij.net, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Disable compression of newsyslog by default

On 23 Dec 2023, at 15:23, Craig Leres wrote:

> On 12/23/23 06:52, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>> This is strange change at best.  I have no opinion about the disabling=

>> of compression of the rotated logs by default, but we already have kno=
bs
>> to do that.  Adding a knob that disables (or enables) other knobs to w=
ork
>> is weird.
>
> I totally agree. This moves the compression knob from the config file t=
o the command line. And what if the user wants some but not all files to =
be compressed? Or wants to use different compression with different log f=
iles?

Another possibility would be to introduce some simple form of variables i=
newsyslog.conf, replacing J by a variable reference, with the variable
being set near the beginning.  E.g.

	V=3Dzstd (or just V=3D for none?)
	... $V
	... $V

Then there would be one global change, and much easier changing of the
default.

It would also be possible to add <include> /etc/newsyslog.local.conf at t=
he
beginning, and set variables there, making changes to the default file le=
ss
painful in the future.

>> If you want to change the compression, update the default configuratio=
n file.

> I also think this is the best approach.
>
> Given the current freebsd-update workflow, users will get to deal with =
changes to the default newsyslog.conf via mergemaster.

> And having converted a number of systems from newsyslog compression to =
zfs compression, just changing the config file is not the only change nee=
ded, users will still need to compress/uncompress existing log files.

Good point.  Although newsyslog could be smart enough to recognize altern=
ate
suffixes (or none), and rotate the files anyway.  Short of that, this sug=
gests
that a new default config file should specify bzip2, but it would be easy=
localize.

		Mike