Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:08:20 -0000
From:      graeme.n.brown@bt.com
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   distributing software updates to boxes on a network

I want to develop unicast routing software and deliver/share new versions
to FreeBSD PC routers on a test network under my administration in an
automated hands-off way. I would appreciate suggestions for any neat ways
of doing this.

In the past I have tried doing this

(i) via NFS where master version of S/W is held on an NFS server with
individulal routers mounting exported directory for the s/w and thus
all routers can execute same uptodate version of code

OR

(ii) via each router running a PERL script which does an ftp download
of the s/w from an ftp server and then compiles/runs new version of
code.

TIA

Graeme Brown
BT Adastral Park, UK