Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 15:36:55 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), marko@FreeBSD.ORG (Mark Ovens), will@physics.purdue.edu (Will Andrews), advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stolen script?

> According to the IBM lawyers who did due dilligence on all
> of FreeBSD, prior to the Whistle acquisition, the src/COPYRIGHT
> is all that's necessary and sufficient.

[I should know better than to reply to a Lambert posting, but
 what the hell, it's Monday :) ]

I would have thought IBM employed more expensive lawyers than this.
There are portions of /usr/src clearly covered under the GPL, yet your
lawyers claimed that src/COPYRIGHT still covered them?  I have to
believe that you're misrepresenting what they said since I can't
imagine IBM going this far wrong.

Similarly, there are other bits of src/ which are covered under the
beerware license, private licenses, various permutations on the
berkeley license and any number of things not covered by
src/COPYRIGHT.  That would imply a rule of "under src/COPYRIGHT unless
I say otherwise" and that's not a rule which I could see any lawyer
supporting since it would mean that any portion of src which was taken
away would suddenly be license-less, and expecting an "all or nothing"
approach to FreeBSD's /usr/src would be unrealistic at best.

- Jordan