Date:      Sat, 05 Feb 2022 17:05:19 +0100
From:      Markus Hoenicka <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gmake calls make in SUBDIRS

Hi,

my apologies if this is just the result of not actively developing for a
couple of years. I've picked up again maintaining a piece of software
with a top-level Makefile.am which defines several subdirectories using
the SUBDIRS variable. My lazy butt used lots of the oh so convenient GNU
make specific pattern rules back then. This never used to be a problem
though. Just running gmake on the top-level Makefile would call gmake
for all subdirectories. This behaviour seems to have changed at some
point between the days of yore and yesterday. At present, gmake returns
an error complaining about the unknown pattern rules, i.e. gmake calls
make in the subdirectories. I can cd into a subdirectory and call gmake.
Or I run "MAKE=gmake gmake" in the top-level directory. Either way, the
build goes fine. I ran autogen.sh and autoreconf to avoid that any old
configuration stuff is outdated, to no avail. Am I missing something
here?

My system is: FreeBSD wombat 12.2-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p7
GENERIC  amd64

thanks
Markus

--