Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 2014 09:36:50 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Matthias Meyser <meyser@xenet.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cross installing freebsd?

On Dec 7, 2014, at 7:28 AM, Matthias Meyser wrote:

> Hi all
>=20
> Am 07.12.2014 um 02:32 schrieb Alfred Perlstein:
>> Hey folks,
>>=20
>> In order to make installation of a new world/kernel on my i386 =
soekris a LOT faster/easier I've taken to doing builds on an amd64 host =
and then "cross-installing"
>>=20
>> Steps are as follows:
>>=20
>> On amd64 host:
>> /usr/trees/freebsd.git % env TARGET=3Di386 make -j8 buildworld && env =
TARGET=3Di386 make -j8 buildkernel
>>=20
>> On i386 host:
>> mount spigot:/usr/trees /usr/trees
>> mount spigot:/usr/obj /usr/obj
>> cd /usr/trees/freebsd.git
>> # install kernel:
>> env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=3D/usr/obj/i386.i386 CC=3D/usr/bin/cc \
>>  INSTALL=3D/usr/bin/install \
>>  make installkernel
>> # install world:
>> env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=3D/usr/obj/i386.i386 CC=3D/usr/bin/cc \
>>  INSTALL=3D/usr/bin/install STRIPBIN=3D/usr/bin/strip \
>>  MAKEWHATIS=3D/usr/bin/makewhatis \
>>  make installworld
> Thank you! You are my hero.
> This bothers me a long time. Even on arm.
>=20
>=20
>> Seems to work nicely.
>> Any objections if I add something like this target as =
"cross-installworld" and "cross-installkernel" to top level Makefile?
>=20
> It would be much nicer if the normal install* would handle this =
automatically.
> Someone should teach the Makesystem to build the =
installboottrapbinaries
> not only for the HOST system but also for the Targetsystem.
>=20
> Then normal install would just work.

I wish I had time to do that, but I really do not have time to sort how =
to determine that reliably, also people have been pretty upset if =
anything in the build changes lately and anything breaks.  So I am very =
afraid to touch any defaults.

Due to time and the pressure to not break anything I can do one of two =
things:
1) clean up the two targets I've submitted and put them in a =
Makefile.cross-install, then document them in the main Makefile.
2) Keep this code in my own repo.

Sorry.  Let me know if there is a way forward with 1 for the time being?

-Alfred

>=20
>=20
>=20
> - Matthias
>=20
> --=20
> Matthias Meyser            | XeNET GmbH
> Tel.:  +49-5323-9489050    | 38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Marktstrasse =
40
> Fax:   +49-5323-9489059    | Registergericht: Amtsgericht Braunschweig =
HRB 110823