Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:46:42 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjamar@sarenet.es>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   network stack problem in sparc64?

Hello,

I saw this some time ago but always forgot to report it.

I'm running a pair of machines with FreeBSD/sparc64 (various
versions, one of them is running -STABLE now), and I've seen a
problem with the network stack.

Looking at buffer and window sizes,

earendil# sysctl net.inet.tcp|fgrep space
net.inet.tcp.sendspace: 0
net.inet.tcp.recvspace: 0

earendil# sysctl net.inet.udp
net.inet.udp.checksum: 1
net.inet.udp.maxdgram: 0
net.inet.udp.recvspace: 0

When I try to modify them, it doesn't work at all. For example,
trying to run nfcapd/nfsen in a sparc64 box, I get an error for a
setsockopt() call

earendil# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nfsen start
Starting nfsenStarting nfcpad: upstream1setsockopt(SO_RCVBUF,200000):
Invalid argument
Terminated due to errors.
nfcapd exec error: exit: 255, signal: 0, coredump: 0

For x86 machines the values are correctly reported and they work as
expected.

I have been poking Google for this but I haven't seen any mention of
this.

Best regards,

Borja.

P.S: The example machine is running
earendil# uname -a
FreeBSD earendil.arnor.es 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #0:
Fri Sep 22 12:04:44 CEST 2006     root@earendil.arnor.es:/usr/obj/usr/
src/sys/EARENDIL  sparc64