Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:57:20 -0400
From:      "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@lucent.com>
To:        "'isp@freebsd.org'" <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sendmail masquerading unregistered domain

I've read the archives about using an .m4 file to setup sendmail to allow my
unregistered domain to send/receive email via my ISP.  There is still one
thing I do not understand.

The Masquerading and Relaying page at www.sendmail.org
<http://www.sendmail.org>;  reads as if I need to enable masquerading via
MASQUERADE_AS(host.domain) first, before I can use
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(my.unregistered.domain)

The issue for me is that I don't want my system to masquerade as anything.
I only want the unregistered domain to masquerade as the "FreeBSD system" an
be converted to the domain known to the ISP.

Specifically:  Out of the box, FreeBSD has always just worked regarding
email/sendmail.  Sending mail from user@mypc.ISP.com
<mailto:user@mypc.ISP.com>  (where 'mypc' is the name of the FreeBSD system,
not a sub-domain) would always work.  Conversely, from the 'net, I could
always send mail to user@mypc.ISP.com <mailto:user@mypc.ISP.com> .  There is
a TCP connection to sendmail on mypc (I believe the ISP DNS instructs the
sending system to try sending mail to mypc directly as the ISP does *not*
have an MX record for my system; my cable ISP doesn't support other
domains.)

There is no need for this system to "look like" another domain.  So I don't
need to set MASQUERADE_AS(isp.com).  Nor do I want to, the ISP would put all
mail in one mailbox.  I *do* want the other systems on my LAN, using the
unregistered domain for email between them, to be able to send and receive
mail to/from the ISP.  For mail not local to the unregistered domain, I need
the unregistered domain to become mypc.ISP.com (e.g. user@myfamily.com
<mailto:user@myfamily.com>  becomes user@mypc.ISP.com
<mailto:user@mypc.ISP.com>   for windows, user@pcname.myfamily.com
<mailto:user@pcname.myfamily.com>  becomes user@mypc.ISP.com
<mailto:user@mypc.ISP.com>  for other FreeBSD systems)

However, using MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(my.unregistered.domain), according to how I
read http://www.sendmail.org/m4/masquerading.html
<http://www.sendmail.org/m4/masquerading.html>;  only is used if
MASQUERADE_AS is used.

The only thing I can think of is to use MASQUERADE_AS(mypc.ISP.com) even
though mail already uses this.  Since this is very new to me, I'm looking
for a bit of advice at this point.

Am I even on the right track?  Have I properly understood what I've read so
far?  Is there a better way of dealing with email?

I am using FreeBSD 3.1-Release at the moment.

Thanks,
MikeC