Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:39:05 +0800
From:      SCS Shen Ren <ShenRen@sbell.com.cn>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installation problem

Dear Sir:

              I'm upgrading a FreeBSD 2.2.5 system thesedays . The current
system is minimon installed, without X window and enough packages .I
want those features available. So first I got the packages and Xfree86, and
copied them to a DOS patition, then rebooted the machine with a floppy and
enter the sysinstallation.  I entered the "post installation" then
"packages" ,
after choosing media and packages, I chose "install". But it was failed with

"unable to fetch xxxxxxxxx from selected media, ......". I cheched the DOS
patition, it seemed as:

   c:----freebsd----packages--------shells---- bash-1.14.7.tgz

                                          ----math------ ......

                                          ----www------- ......

I don't realize what's the matter even now . I notic that the Index file
could be
fetched and explaned well , it seems at least something in the patition can
be
recognized . and then I tried to install the packages from floppies , but
the same thing appeared. It took me about 3 days but reward me nothing, even
an
clue, ...... , shut !
             Then I made another effort to install the Xfree86 , but this
time I was
told that the sysinstallation sopport only the Xfree86331 but I recieved
Xfree86332 , so it can't recognize it .? My god, I almost lose my confidence
.

            So please help me,   You  are the last emancipator .

A lot, a lot, a lot of thanks !!!

  (by the way , I do all file operations on win95 , is that the crux?)

Hawk.R.S

apr 07 ,1998