Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2023 15:39:24 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Periodic rant about SCHED_ULE

On Mar 22, 2023, at 13:34, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2023, at 12:40, George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com> =
wrote:
>=20
>> On 3/22/23 15:21, Mark Millard wrote:
>>> George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com> wrote on
>>> Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 17:36:39 UTC :
>>> [...]
>>> Installing is likely easy, as likely would be building
>>> with default options (if any). I know nothing about
>>> starting misc/dnetc so that is research. (Possibly
>>> trivial, although if it has alternatives to control
>>> then I'd need to match that context too.)
>>=20
>> service dnetc start
>=20
> I built and installed misc/dnetc and got a binary
> blob that clearly was not built in my environment:
>=20
> # file /usr/local/distributed.net/dnetc
> /usr/local/distributed.net/dnetc: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, =
version 1 (FreeBSD), statically linked, for FreeBSD 10.1 (1001515), =
FreeBSD-style, stripped
>=20
> Way older FreeBSD vintage than the locally available toolchains
> would normally build. Some might be cautious about such a thing.
>=20
> The man page reported that:
>=20
> QUOTE
>     If you have never run the client before, it will initiate the =
menu-driven
>     configuration. Save and quit when done, the configuration file =
will be
>     saved in the same directory as the client. Now, simply restart the
>     client. =46rom that point on it will use the saved configuration.
> END QUOTE
>=20
> I've not seen what the configuration asks about yet.

I went through the configuration, basically just looking
at it, other than providing an E-mail address. Then . . .

$ sudo service dnetc start
Password:
Cannot 'start' dnetc. Set dnetc_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or use =
'onestart' instead of 'start'.

$ sudo service dnetc onestart

I just let it run without any extra competing activity, other
than I had my patched version of top running. It records and
reports various maximum-observed (MaxObs) figures, here
the load averages being relevant.

Top showed that dnetc started 32 processes, one per hardware
thread. Mostly I saw: 100% nice and 0% idle.

Letting it run and then looking at the load averages (and
their matching MaxObs figures) after something like 60+ min
(not carefully timed: was doing other things) showed:

load averages:  31.97,  31.88,  31.66 MaxObs:  32.12,  31.97,  31.66

(Note: The machine had been up for over 2.75 days before
starting this and had not been building much of anything
during that time.)

I've not yet experimented with having other, significant
competing activity.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com