Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:47:54 -0600
From:      "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        "Chris Shenton" <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which ports store/use OPTIONS (/var/db/ports/portname/options)?

On 2/27/06, Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org> wrote:
> Some ports store their configuration options into
> /var/db/ports/portname/options, one example is gaim.
>
> Other ports don't, like www/apache22.  This is annoying because I have
> to remember when I rebuild it, and portupgrade won't get my needed
> tweaks like WITH_PROXY_MODULES.
>
> For apache22 I've set my needed tweaks in /etc/make.conf but that
> doesn't seem the best place, especially since the config names are so
> generic, like WITH_SSL_MODULES.
>
> So why do some ports save these and others don't? Am I not doing
> something required to get it to save these?

There are several reasons why some ports save the options and others don't.

1. Port Maintainer hasn't had time to update their port to use OPTIONS.

2. Port Maintainer resists the use of OPTIONS because the port will
then display a dialog, and then require the user to choose which
options to build.

3. Users of the FreeBSD Ports collection don't like ports that use
OPTIONS, because a dialog box may appear for a dependancy.

   The reason for this is some of the users start building a port,
they then walk away from the system to let the process finish.  But
during the build process, a dependancy shows its OPTIONS dialog, this
causes the build process to pause until the operator comes back and
chooses which options the dependancy will build with.  This repeats
for each dependancy that is using OPTIONS.

NOTE: reason 2 & 3 can be solved by setting the BATCH variable when
building the port, but it then doesn't allow you to set OPTIONS on the
first time the port is built.  Instead it uses the ports default
options.

The only way to get all ports to use OPTIONS is for someone to go thru
each category, and convert all the ports. Then Submitting the changes
as a PR and the maintainers for review.

Scot
 --
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.