Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:01:38 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Adding support for a global src tree serial number

Hi folks,

I'd like to propose the addition of a global src tree serial number that
uniquely identifies an imaginary snapshot of the src tree.

Essentially, the serial number lives in a file, the name of which is
not important until I have buy-in on the concept.  Let's call it
src/SERIAL for now.

Every time a delta is applied to a branch, the serial number in
src/SERIAL is automatically incremented through a "stealth commit" on
that branch.  This ensures that, if the src tree is checked out in its
entirety and left unmodified, this serial number identifies the state of
the entire tree.

In addition, the serial number will be included in the commonly
requested output of 'uname -a' through modifications ot newvers.sh.

This is of no value to developers who update, build and install portions
of the tree, instead of the entire tree.

However, I think it is of great value to folks tracking STABLE, for the
following reasons:

1) Folks reporting build failures can be asked to quote the serial
   number of the src tree they're building.

2) Folks reporting post-upgrade problems can show the serial number of
   the src used for the upgrade, since it's available in the kernel
   version string reported by 'uname -a'.

3) The src/UPDATING file can reference the serial number, e.g.

	This problem was introduced in serial number 11809 and was
	corrected in serial number 11832.

   Obviously, src/UPDATING would need to explain how to find the serial
   number in src/SERIAL.

If folks approve of this idea, Joseph Karthauser has already offered to
do the necessary work in our CVS commit scripts.

This idea flows out of PR conf/6346, and is something I've thought about
on and off since Mark Murray and I argued about it over beer about 2
years ago.

Ciao,
Sheldon.