Date:      Tue, 7 Jun 2022 11:59:33 +0100
From:      paul macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   port binary updates

How often are these built?

we have our boxes configured to connect to latest ABI, but often
portmaster will report an update when there's no binary update available.

This is fine for nearly everything, but i groan everytime llvm/rust
comes up.

I did have a poudriere setup working for a while, but whilst that was
useful for non standard compile options, i'm sure no ones really running
anything but std llvm.

As an aside we try to keep everything up to date daily, which obv comes
with its own issues, time not withstanding, how often are list members
updating?

We do manage to keep host boxes ( as opposed to jails) updated
efficiently using binary pkgs, but i've lost count of the amount of
times mysqld has been removed due to a dep (eg proftpd-mysql)

I never particularly like mysql57 :P

Paul

--
Paul Macdonald

Virtual Servers from £50.00pm
High specification Dedicated Servers from £150.00pm